Monday 21 July 2008

Any Piece of Paper........

.............Can be turned into a work of art.........

In an earlier post I refered to a paper artist Paul Jackson - http://www.origami-artist.com/ - from whom I received a workshop while at KIAD in Maidstone. I love the way in which he takes a simple sheet of paper and turns it into amazing sculptural forms full of texture and detail.

Below are sculptural corsets I designed and made from paper while in the first year of my BA(Hons) Decorative Arts at Nottingham Trent University. We had to produce work based on architectural forms found in the city.

I started with drawings in mixed media - newspaper, ink, charcoal and graphite, and progressed from here to producing background images in ink and bleach and monoprints which I then folded into sculptural shapes inspired by the tiled roofs, railings, brickwork and layering I found in the city. From here I then formed three basic corset shapes of card and added to them using the folded forms. The results of which are below:










Close up details of the folded forms:







These may look complicated, but once you know a few tricks on how to fold the paper, it is not as daunting as you think............

No comments: