Tuesday 10 November 2015

Calendar

How to interpret a journal prompt of Calendar? This was the starting point for Journal 52, Week 38. I decided to use a calendar image that has always held a fascination for me - the calendar used by the Mayans / Aztecs. They had an ingenious idea for using three layers of dials to tell the date, supposedly ending with the end of the world on December 21st 2012. (So prophets foretold!) I think we are all still here.... ;-)

I decided to keep this one simple - a pencil drawing of the key shapes, adding colour with watercolours and a touch of water soluble graphite over the top. I wanted to keep a loose, sketchy feel to this one. I love how civilisations find inventive ways to record the passing of time. Hope everyone is having a good week.






No comments: